Saturday, November 19, 2011

Filling out surveys for an online application?

Okay so I'm filling out applications online for certain places that I want to get a job at. They have these surveys that Im sure everyone knows and they ask these questions that seem to be double edged to me.





For instance one question asks whether or not I beleive that people take advantage of their co-workers to get ahead. And everyone knows that yes, that is true. However, at the same time if I answer yes then that may reflect badly on myself saying that I'm the kind of person who would do that. So then maybe I should answer no. But then that makes me look like Im stupid and naieve.





So in other words, what kind of answers should I give in these surveys? Honest or ones that make me look like I'd be the model employee?

Filling out surveys for an online application?
Just tell the truth - if you don't pass some sort of test, you probably are much better off without that particular job.





I've seen similar tests. In the same bank of questions, there are "redemptive' questions - such as "I think it is okay to belittle another employees accomplishments in order to look better." By answering that question "no", you have in effect shown that you realize that some people do that, but you personally don't.





Good luck in your job search - you probably will do just fine - I think it is great that you are thinking about what is put in front of you.
Reply:Do your answers have to be just yes or no?





And it's not true that everyone takes advantage of their co-workers to get ahead. That would be a very competitive work environment. They exist, for sure, but there are other more cooperative work environments - I've worked in one like that for 15 years - where colleagues help each other out rather than stab each other in the back. I would much rather work in a cooperative environment than a competitive one.


No comments:

Post a Comment